Taking Istamet-50mg for diabetes. How long should I continue the medicine?

Dear sir My fasting sugar was 132 & PP was 178.
After using ISTAMET 50mg/1000mg for 10 days with regular walking for about 8-10 Km/day & strict dieting it is now
90 & 126 respectively.
Kindly advise if I need to continue the medicine or monitor regularly.
If I stop medicine & follow strict dieting & exercise will I be able to maintain my sugar level.
Thanks & best regards.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

Thanks for posting a query to XXXXXXX

Diabetes, Hypertension and Obesity - these are lifestyle diseases and need long term care and management; mostly for life long.

I am glad to know your sugars are under normal limits now. You need to continue that.

In this circumstance, it is advisable to continue medications along with strict diet and lifestyle for continued beneficial results.

Keep salt intake to 2.5 gms /day and let me know which medicine is given to you for B.P. continue to take it and try to keep blood pressure under 130/80 mm of Hg. Please do not stop medicine and keep a record of sugar level - fasting, post prandial blood sugars and quarterly glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1c).

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.