Taking Indomethacin to relieve cluster headache. Have high blood pressure and head discomfort. Should medicine be stopped?

Nov 2013

I have been taking Indomethacin for one week to relieve cluster headaches. While it works to control the pain, my blood pressure is running around 155/95 and I have a very strange zapping sensation in my head. Are these side effects enough to warrant stopping the Indomethacin? (I must admit that it has taken months to find a medication that works, and I feel bothersome to my prescribing doctor.)
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is good to note that Indomethacin is working for your cluster headaches, and you have found a medicine that works.

I do not think high blood pressure is related to indomethacin. Please keep a close watch on your BP, and if needed, a small dose of anti-hypertensive medication (such as olmesartan or telmisartan) may be added. There is no need to discontinue indomethacin at this stage.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: