Taking Hema-Plex for low iron levels. Should I take prescription medicine?

Yes. I have low iron levels. I have medication but am trying the natural Hema-Plex. Should I take the prescription medicine instead of the natural herb found at the vitamin shop>
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hema-plus for 2 weeks; else shift to prescription

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand you would like to learn more on this topic, which is why I would like to give you a few of the pros and cons on the situation for your better understanding.

Prescription drug: Accurately treats the iron deficiency; is marketed only after the CDC and FDA have approved its use and benefit in treating iron deficiency; and most importantly is reliable
Natural medication: Contains many other ingredients which are also helpful but reduce the accuracy of treatment; is marketed without any approval from any drug association (which means it does not necessarily have to be as effective); results are not really guaranteed.

Putting this information forward, my advice would be to try the Hema-plus for a maximum duration of about 2 weeks, and re-check your iron levels; if there is no significant improvement then please shift over to the prescription drug.

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information.

Best wishes.