Taking Glycomet for type 2 diabetes. Want to lose weight. Need advice on vegetarian diet

Aug 2012

I am diagnosed to have type-2 diabetes in 2010 and since then am on medicines(glycomet) twice everyday.

I am 6 feet in height and weight 96 kgs and am a strict vegeterian. I would like to loose weight to reach a better BMI and to improve my life-style.

Please advice on any vegeterian diet plan(foods to avoid) which I need to follow to loose weight.

Best Regards,
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

The best way to lose weight is through diet and exercise only. I assume you have maintained very good control of sugars- you have not mentioned your current readings.
Foods which will make you put on weight easily are- all bakery items, cooked white rice when eaten more than 200 gm in one meal, all fruit juices, sweetened drinks, soft drinks and any claimed health drinks, any fried items, chapati or bread when eaten more than 100 gm in one meal, heavy gravies loaded with oil, ghee or butter, milk when added with health powders like horlicks etc., all sweets-Indian as well as western, readymade breakfast items like cornflakes which are easy to increase your sugar though they are fat free, Dosas made in lots of oil and eaten more than 2 in one meal (restaurant size). You can ask me about any of your favourite food items if they also fit into this category.
For weight loss make sure you do such a physical activity that you sweat for 1 hour after that. That means the physical activity should last for minimum 45 minutes in one go.
Your diabetes is in initial phase and you can be very flexible in eating habits because you are only on tab Metformin. This means you can eat fruits when you do not want to eat full meal. example is in place of 200 gm rice, sambar, cooked vegetables, rasam, curd meal you can just eat 1 big fruit plate containing about 500 gm of edible fruit parts like oranges, watermelon, papaya, banana, pomogranate etc. I hope you understood this point.
So fruits are not contraindicated in you. Eat lots of salad made up of carrots, cucumber, tomatos, raddish, beetroot, sprouted beans. Do not add salad dressing to it. Whenever you are hungry but have completed eating your calories then eat lots of salad to compensate the hunger.
You can replace your 200 gm cooked rice or 100 gm chapati by about 180 gm boiled potato. This you can eat with some gravy. But only boiled potato, no microwaving, roasting or frying allowed. No chapati or rice in that meal.
Get back for further queries if any. Take care.