Taking Gabapentin for back pain. Falling asleep. What to do?

My husband has been taking the pill Gabapentin for about a month for back pain it seems to zap him and he has been falling asleep at different times this morning he fell into a deep sleep this has me worried should he go off the pill
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gabapentin is sedative effects.

Detailed Answer:

Gabapentin is an antiepileptic drug. It effects chemicals in the nerves and help in prevent the pain and seizures.

It acts centrally on the brain and has sedative effect.
This is the reason for sleep in your husband.

If this sedative effect of Gabapentin affects the day to day activity of your husband then it may be stopped and other non sedative drugs can be use with the help of your doctor.

Hope the answer helps you.