Taking Finasteride to prevent hair loss. Planning to start steroids. Should I increase dosage of Finasteride?

Hey, I'm currently taking 1mg of Finasteride a day to prevent hair loss. I will be starting a 12 week course of steroids in the next month and was wondering should I increase the amount of Finasteride I take daily to account for the Increased Testosterone levels. If so how much daily? 2mg? 5mg?

Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No dose increment is required

Detailed Answer:
Finesteride blocks conversion of testosterone to its active form 5DHT by inhibiting an enzyme 5 alpha reductase. There is no need to increase the dose of finesteride even if you are on testosterone or any other steroids. So please continue with your dose of 1mg finesteride. However just stagger the dose of finesteride and steroid. Take steroid in morning and finesteride in night.

I would like to know
why do you plan to take steroids for 12 weeks
which steroid you plan to take and in what dosage

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Taking Finasteride to prevent hair loss. Planning to start steroids. Should I increase dosage of Finasteride? 27 minutes later
I've done alot of research and talked to friends who have done courses and they all advise that 12 weeks is a good length for a cycle. I plan to take 500mg of Testosterone Enanthate a week for 12 weeks. Injecting twice a week (250mg each injection) Sunday and Wednesday.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would not advocate use of testosterone

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
I presume you wish to take testosterone to build muscle mass or as a performance enhancer.
It has become a fad amongst youngsters to use it for gaining muscle mass in less amount of time without caring for side efffects or harms it may cause. It may cause heart disorders, increased cholesterol, thrombophlebitis, low sperm count, infertility, reactivation of cancers, liver damage etc. Not to mention milder side effects like acne, increased oiliness, hair damage. Of all these side effects, you were just concerned about hair fall!

I would sincerely advise that you think twice and consult a doctor before taking it.

As far as your original query goes, continue with same dose of finesteride 1 mg even if you take testosterone.

Hope that answered your query.