Taking Ferrous Sulfate, Received message that it is recalled. Will double dose harm? Have been without the benefit of Meclizne?

I have been taking Ferrous Sulfate 325mg, I received a letter from pharmacy saying it had been recalled because it could have been mistaken and it could be Meclizne instead. What if this is true and I already take Meclizne, would double dose harm me, also I may have been without the benefit of Ferrous Sulfate.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX

I am not aware that ferrous sulfate is withdrawn from use in medical field. Besides that, meclizine which is an antihistamine has no interaction / influence with Ferrous Sulfate. But yes, ferrous sulfate has some interaction with demeclocycline (which is an antibiotic) - it can lower the absorption and effectiveness of this antibiotic.

Therefore I don't think you would be harmed by taking ferrous sulfate and meclizine together. You can discuss with your doctor/pharmacist. I don't think they are withdrawn from medical use.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Taking Ferrous Sulfate, Received message that it is recalled. Will double dose harm? Have been without the benefit of Meclizne? 10 hours later
I may have not been clear on my question. I was not taking the ferrous sulfate (I thought I was) but taking double doses of Meclizine. I was prescribed ferrous sulfate and Meclizine but in reality I was not taking ferrous sulfate and I was taking a double dose of Meclizine. Does this change your answer?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

I apologize for misreading your post. Your concern is more clear now. My answer is changed accordingly as follows:

Meclizine which is an antihistamine is prescribed at a dose of 25 - 50mg per day. The side effects and toxic symptoms are dose dependent. However gradually individuals develop tolerance and are able to tolerate them and have no adverse effects.

Therefore you need not be very concerned. If you feel that you are on double dose of meclizine, contact your physician who can review the drugs and rationalize it according to your current needs. Further, you can ask your experts to check the presumed drug and to verify if it is indeed ferrous sulfate or meclizine.

Hope I have rightly addressed your concern. Let me know if you need clarifications.