Taking Femodette, dark and dry skin on chest and stomach, itching. Should I come off the pill?

I have been on femodette for three months. during this time varying shade of dark dry itchy skin has appeared all over my chest and stomach. should i come off the pill. i have always had problems with dry skin but not to this extent . i am aware the pill hinders the production of natural oil in the body
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

The brown patchy or hyperpigmentation is one of the commonest side effects of Femodette.

Also such symptoms are seen more in people with dry skin.

The pigmentation problems are seen during the first few months after starting the medication and gradually disappear after 3 to 4 months after the start.

Do wait for another month or 2 and observe the skin , If there is no reduction in the pigmentation then stopping medication would be the best option.

Also you can apply ointment Melanorm over the affected area in the night to reduce the pigmentation and Calamine lotion during day times to prevent progression of the pigmentation.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.