Taking Epilim, asked to reduce dosage due to diagnosis of non-epileptic seizures. Planning on stopping altogether

i was taken epilim 300mg chrono 3 in the morning and 3 in the night the dr said i suffer from non eplieptic sezuires . so i was told to reduce 1 tablet per week so i started to miss my medication and planning on stopping all to gether ive been on it for 2yrs
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

Epilim chrono contains Sodium valproate which is a commonly used strong anti sezuire medication .Usually it is advised for long term and then stopped by tapering the dosage slowly.You can proceed as advised by your doctor to stop the medication by lessening one tab per week. Such tapering dose will not result in withdrawal effects which includes recurrence of sezuires.

Do not stop the medication suddenly , it is not safe and there are many documented cases in whom recurrence of sezuires and nervous disturbances were noted.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further,