Taking Effexor and Abilify for depression. Still depressed, harder to concentrate and remember. Can Vyvnase be tried?

Dec 2014

I have been taking Effexor(450mg) daily and Abilify (15mg) daily for Depression for 7 years now. I still have some periods of depression and I feel like my speech is way too slow. it's getting harder to remember , focus, and concentrate. I want to try Vyvanse but my Nurse Practitioner wants to keep me on the same meds. What can I do? I have had a few doses of my sister's Vyvanse and it works great!
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic

I have read your query and I can understand your problem. You have been taking Venlafexine 450 mg and Aripiprazole 15 mg for many years. The drugs are not providing effective control of symptoms and you are having depressive symptoms even with medicines. You took Vyvnase and it resulted in improvement.

See Vyvnase is an amphetamine drug and it is a controlled psychoactive substance. It can result in subjective improvement in activity and energy level but on long term it usually worsen depressive symptoms. So personally I feel that the drug will not benefit you much. Depression is thought to be result of defective serotonin transmission. Venlafexine help to improve depression as it is an SNRI drug. If you are not getting good control if depression then you can discuss with your psychiatrist for other drugs like SSRIs as paroxetine, escitalopram etc or other drugs like mirtazepine etc. These are comparatively more potent than Venlafexine.
If you are having bothersome symptoms of lathergy then medicines like modafinil prove useful. The drug don't cause dependence.
Consult your doctor for detailed evaluation again.

Hope this helps you, if you have more question you can ask again.