Taking Ebexid tablets. No thyroid problems. Is this a multivitamin tablet?

Question
Can you please let me know that why ebexid tablet is taken. One of my friend has been asked to take this as multivitamin.
but it is mentioned on-line that when you cant conceive and she is not pregnant and also she dont have any thyroid problem
Thanks in advance
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Ebexid contains thyroid IP 85 15 mg, tocopheryl acetate 10 mg, thiamine mononitrate 2.5 mg, riboflavin 2.5 mg, calcium pantothenate 5 mg, pyridoxine hydrochloride 1 mg, nicotinamide 25 mg and is given for subclinical and clinical hypothyroidism to bring thyroid levels to normal.
Hypothyroidism can lead to irregular menstrual cycles and is probably one of the reasons that she has been prescribed this drug.

However, I would suggest that her thyroid hormone levels are measured and then the drug is taken only under the prescription of a physician. The following tests would be needed:
a.     Thyroid stimulating hormone levels (TSH levels)
b.     Free thyroxine levels (FT4 levels)

If your friend gets pregnant while taking this tablet, then she should stop taking this drug because it also has oil soluble vitamin E which is best avoided in the first 3 months of pregnancy

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Taking Ebexid tablets. No thyroid problems. Is this a multivitamin tablet? 22 minutes later
She is not married

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

As mentioned in the medical history, since your friend is having irregular periods, hence thyroid disease which is an important cause of irregular periods should be ruled out. This is the reason probably she has been prescribed this drug.