Taking Doxycycline for epididymitis. Have pale stools. No pain. Is this a serious side effect that I should be concerned with?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Prescribed 100mg Doxycycline 2 times a day to treat epididymitis. I'm on the 8th day of this antibiotic and have very pail stool. Is this a serious side effect that I should be concerned with? I have no pain and my bowl movements are normal in consistency. The only thing that is off is the color.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
The mild change in the color of stool that you are having is likely to be due to the effect of antibiotic you are taking. This is not worrisome. A change in the microbial gut flora is responsible for such changes in most of the cases.
You only need to monitor the stool color over next week. This is likely to come back to normal on its own without any treatment.
If it is associated with loose stools and fever then you must consult your physician for further examination and treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Taking Doxycycline for epididymitis. Have pale stools. No pain. Is this a serious side effect that I should be concerned with? 24 minutes later
Sounds like it is safe for me to finish the last 2 days of the antibiotic course.

The color is extremely pale (though not white) however, I have no yellowing of the skin or eyes so I'm pretty sure it's not a liver issue. I'll consider supplementing with a probiotic in hopes of restoring the bacterial balance.

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Taking a probiotic will be helpful. You can continue taking doxycycline to avoid in recurrent infections.
Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.

Regards.