Taking Diltiazem for high blood pressure. Am I managing it okay?

I have high blood pressure. Today, after having taken my daily dose of Diltiazam 360mg and Ibesartan 150 mg, my reading is still 137 / 93. Is it still high (I am 53)? Am I managing it ok? I have done all I could, meaning eating mostly veggie, staying away from work and family stress, staying away from feeling angry and feeling worried, non-alcoholic and non-smoking, eating less salt, and I am still high! What else can I do?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 59 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Ideally your BP still should be little lower at around 120 to 130 on upper side and around 80 to 85 on lower side.
You continue to to take good lifestyle measures like good eating habits and staying away from stress.
Do regular walk daily for 45 minutes.
You must discuss with your doctor for possible addition of an hypertensive medicine to bring your BP a little down.
I hope to gave answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Taking Diltiazem for high blood pressure. Am I managing it okay? 23 minutes later
I do not want to ADD any more medicine to the two that I am already taking: diltiazam at maximum dosage of 360mg and ubesartan at 150 mg. To add a third is surely not the best way to deal with this. Don't you agree? There must be a blind spot (holistic angle) that I have missed. Can you refer an ayurveda practitioner or someone holistic? I dont believe that adding more pharmaceutical is the answer, unless you ahve invested in their stock !
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
It is a question of perception.
As a doctor,I would always be willing for the tightest control of different parameters( in your case it is BP).
I advocated for the third medicine,since you are a young person and you are already taking all possible precautions and indulging in good health practices. Current JNC (Joint National Recommendations) say for any number of medicines to bring the BP under 120/80mmHg.
It is not a bad idea to opt for some Ayurvedic medicine or some other medication. Regular Yoga and meditation certainly has an edge to deal with higher BP.
The basic purpose is,total control of your BP,whichever way you achieve it.
Do write,if any further query is there.
Follow-up: Taking Diltiazem for high blood pressure. Am I managing it okay? 4 hours later
One final question before I close, doctor: if I use the strategy of letting my blood pressure stay at the current level of about 137/93, not adding any more pharmaceutical than the two I am currently using, and monitoring my BP so it will not go any higher than 137/93, can I live healthily without complications down the line, providing I take all possible precaution and take good healthy practices? In other words, can I be a bit "undertrained" and yet enjoy the benefit of training ?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Yes you can stay healthy even at this level of blood pressure provided it is being monitored regularly and you keep all of your healthy habits intact,since your BP is just slightly beyond the ideal required range.
However,the moment you feel you have some problem or your BP is getting higher,you must add an additional antihypertensive medicine in consultation with your treating doctor.