Taking Diamicron for diabetes. Low sugar levels at night. Suffering from Insomnia. History of sinusitis treated with antibiotics

Hello I'm age 64 and recently visited my doctor for a sinus problem that had me unable to sleep for several nights and also gas problem. just before the visit, which was unplanned, I consumed three ginger ales within an hour plus a small pack of chocolate chip cookies. A routine urine test was undertaken and my blood sugar was found to be at 12.1 and the doctor decided to place me on Diamicron 60 once per day. I purchased a blood sugar test kit (one touch) and have been conducting my own test every other day. At wakening it is between 3.9 and 5.2. Two hours later depending on what I had eaten it is between 5.2 and 6.2. I do not eat meat and I am a hiker plus I use a static bike covering between 4 - 8 miles after which my blood sugar drops to between 3.4 and 4.4 and I find that I sometimes drift into a sleep very quickly after that but knowing what can happen I quickly take some glucose. This has only happened after beginning to take the Diamicron 60. I now also suffer from insomnia since starting Diamicron and this is beginning to cause me some concern. The sinus problem was fixed with antibiotics, a short course of sinus tablets and a nasal spray. I found this site while looking for an answer to any relationship between Diamicron 60 and insomnia.
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello sir

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Diamicron contains gliclazide as you know it is used to treat diabetes. Insomnia as side effect caused by gliclazide has not been mentioned. So i t is very unlikely that your symptom insomnia is due to gliclazide.

Gliclazide can cause weight gain, but the gain in the weight is less significant.

Blood sugar should be routinely monitored as gliclazide can cause hypoglycemia which in turn can cause anxiety that might be responsible for insomnia.

Regarding your blood sugar, i advice to go for test fasting blood sugar test and postprandial blood sugar test, show this report to the consulting physician. The above mentioned tests are more informative than the random blood sugar test.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer