Taking Dexedrine. Suggested no adrenaline. Better to take sustained capsules?

I have been taking Dexedrine for 40 years and recently had an op. which required a GA. Half way through I had
To be brought round as I started,only for a second,to flatline. They told me that after all these years I had no
Adrenaline of my own.As they.put it "it had all been mashed out of me" I am and have been on a maintenance
Dose of ten 5mg.pills a day. I feel very scared and wonder if it would be better to take sustained capsules. I don't
Ever want to see another dex. In my life but I have been told that it would be XXXXXXX to stop.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
dear patient,

thanks for your health concerns. It would be unsafe to abruptly discontinue dectroamphetamine after 40 years all of a sudden... it has to be done in the form of a gradual taper supervised by a physician. I presume that the medication was prescribed for attention deficit disorder or narcolepsy. the prescribing physician would have a conversation with you about a strategic taper down schedule and alternative options for treatment

truly yours

dr brenes salazar md
mayo clinic mn