Taking Decdan N Practin to gain weight. Are there side effects? What should dosage be?

Question
HI I M 38 YEARS OLD EARLIER I USE TO TAKE DECDAN N PRACTIN TO GAIN WEIGHT AS I WAS VERY THIN . I STILL TAKE IT ON N OFF. I HAVE AN 8 YR OLD SON N I FLY SO IT IS NECESSARY TO BE IN SHAPE PLS TELL ME R THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS IN THE LONG RUN BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN TAKING IT SINCE TEN YEARS. ALSO HOW MANY A DAY N WHEN TO TAKE THEM
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Decdan contains dexamethasone which is a synthetic member of the glucocorticoid class of steroid drugs and is 26.6 times more potent than the naturally occurring hormone cortisol and 6.6 times more potent than prednisone. It SHOULD NOT be taken without medical supervision. If used for a long period of time, it can show side-effects common to systemic glucocorticoids.

This drug can suppress your immune system. This can raise your risk of getting an infection or of reactivating an old infection, it may cause your body to retain excess fluid (This can lead to swelling in the face, hands, or feet), increase the risk of ulcers or bleeding in the digestive tract, raise your blood glucose level, increased risk of cataracts, glaucoma, bone thinning (osteoporosis), fractures, loss of muscle mass, abnormal hair growth, thinning skin, acne, and a change in the distribution of body fat. Moreover you are taking it off and on which is entirely wrong as once taken, the dose has to be tapered off and then stopped completely.

Practin contains cyproheptadine which may cause CNS effects, atropine-like signs and symptoms (dry mouth; fixed, dilated pupils; flushing, etc.) as well as gastrointestinal symptoms in the long run. Hence they should be taken only under prescription. Regarding dosage, The total daily dose for adults should not exceed 0.5 mg/kg/day. The therapeutic range is 4 mg to 20 mg a day, with the majority of patients requiring 12 mg to 16 mg a day. For dexamethasone, initial dosage varies from 0.75 to 9 mg a day depending on the disease being treated. But they should always be taken under medical supervision from a qualified doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.