Taking Cymbalta and Wellbutrin for depression. Addiction to vicodin. Worsening depression. Due to medications?

I have a long standing history of depression for which I take cymbalta 60mg.I have over the last few years developed an addiction to vicodin which I quit on my own. I am in severe clinical depression. My Dr. inceased my cymbalta to 90 mg & added wellbutrin XL 450mg daily. My depression seems to be worse right now. Could it be the meds? Last night got so bad Iwas thinking harmful thoughts. I want to move on with my life. What should I do?..RL
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 8 hours later

Cymbalta contains duloxetine, an effective antidepressant . Depression can be unipolar type or bipolar type. In bipolar depression there are episodes of depression and episodes of mania/hypomania(opposite of depression) occur in life time.

Usually in some type of bipolar depression, a mood stabiliser is recommended. Your doctor can say you weather you are suffering from unipolar or bipolar depression.

Wellbutrin XL, contains bupropion, also another class of antidepressant whose usual clinical maximum dose is 450 mg/day.

Options for treatment of such conditions are many. If it does not respond to one drug, it can be changed to other at adequate doses and for adequate duration.

Having suicidal thoughts is a medical emergency because people can commit suicide at any time that is not under their control rather under disease influence.

I would suggest you must see your doctor or psychiatrist as soon as possible

Hope this addressed your concern

I am available for further clarification

Wish you good health.