Taking Crestor for high cholesterol. Liver function tests done. High levels of Bilirubin, ALT. Due to alcohol consumption?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi my husband is aged 32 and for the passed 5 yrs has continued to present w high liver function. He has high cholesterol and has taken medication on and off for this over the past 5 years. He has been consistedly taking crestor 10mg the past 2 monts. He recently had a stress test done, which was all great. However, his two recent liver function tests have been concerning. Test results recieved today indicate total protein as 83; albumin 50; globulins 33; bilirubin 14; alk phos 71; alt 98; gamma gt 77. 5 years ago he ad an ultrasound oe on his liver which indicated nothing abnormal. He drinks wine 5 nights a week, probably 2 at the most 3 glasses. He works in the medical field. I would like feed back... Suggestions
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Crestor is a medicine for high cholestrol with a cuation for use in patients with impaired liver functions.

It is good to know that his stres test is normal.

You have also mentioned that the ultrasound scan of the liver was also normal.

I understand that you are concern is about abnormal liver function tests:

Total protein is apparently normal at 83.
Albumin at 50 is normal.
Globulin at 33 is normal.

Bilirubin if in umol/liter is normal at 14 but on the higher end.

Alkaline Phosphatase at 71 IU/L is also normal.
Gamma GT at 77 IU/L is on a higher level [upper range upto 51 IU/L].
ALT at 98 U/L is also on a higher level [normal upper limit up to 40 U/L].

As you have stated that your husband consumes alcohol in moderate amounts as well as he is medication to control his cholesterol levels. Both these might be contributing to some amount of on going damage to the liver, hence an elevated liver enzymes.

In this setting I would suggest that:

1] He should gradually withdraw alcohol and give up completely.
2] You Ask your physician to change the anti cholestrol medicine from crestor to some safer medicine considering the liver function tests.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you any follow-up queries.

If you have nor further queries please do accept my answer.

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.