Taking Concor for blood pressure. Please advise

my is 45 and having BP. she is medicated by concorn 5 mg. her BP is normally, 89/134. plus rate is 50 to 55.
pl advise
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 28 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

You probably forget to mention your relation with patient. By the way she is receiving concor 5 mg which is bisoprolol, a cardio-selective beta blocker which may decrease heart rate. Though her blood pressure is well controlled, but her pulse rate is decreasing like 50 -55/min, you should consult your doctor.

Infact pulse rate below 50 is a contraindication to concor therapy. In that case you may have to change the drug. So I suggest you to consult your doctor and make a discussion on this issue.

If you want to know further you may write back to me. If all your queries are answered then please close the discussion here and write a review on this answer.

God bless you.

Dr. Arnab Maji
Follow-up: Taking Concor for blood pressure. Please advise 16 hours later
Soory for not mentioning relation with patient. she is my wife. she takes 2.5 mg per day in morning since last fifteen years. please advice for plus rate range between 50 to 55 /per m. and i think her BP is also higher side. i.e.89/134
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Pulse rate normally has to be in the range of 60-100/min. As your wife's pulse rate is falling with concor 2.5 mg I will suggest that you discuss with her treating doctor about discontinuing the drug and to start amlodipine, and check blood pressure and pulse rate after 2 weeks.

Please do not change the drug or the dosage without consulting her primary treating doctor.

134/89 mm Hg BP is within normal limit (currently upto 140/90 is normal). However, your wife has to continue anti-hypertensive, as she was hypertensive because discontinuation may raise her pressure.

If you have further queries, you may write me back. If you have no further queries you may end this discussion here and please write a review on this answer.

God bless you both.

Dr. Arnab Maji
Follow-up: Taking Concor for blood pressure. Please advise 1 hour later
Thanks for your advice. Sir, please tell me should I contact immediately or week end. If matter seems to be serious I will consult any Dr immediately.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 6 minutes later

Dont be worried too much. Its not an emergency right now. You may consult your doctor at this week end but not after that.

Thank you for writing me back.

Please write a review on my answer to you.

God bless you both.

Dr. Arnab Maji