Taking Clopidogrel, metoprolol and ramipril. What to take onstead for arthritis?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Can not take maloxican because of the following list of medicine, my question what can I take instead for arthritis?

CLOPIDOGREL (Plavix) 75mg - 1Tablet AM

METOPROLOL succinate 50mg Tablet Extended release 24hr - 1Tablet AM

RAMIPRIL 5mg - 2 Capsule AM

AMLODIPINE (Norrvasc) 10mg - 1 Tablet AM

PRAVASTATIN 40mg - 2 Tablet PM

CO-Q10 PM
          MULTI VITAMINE (Centrum Silver) AM
          FOLIC ACID PM

KEFLEX (Cephalexin)
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acetaminophen is the best drug for you.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The best tolerable medicine for the treatment of arthritic pain is ACETAMINOPHEN, as it produces relatively lesser side effects and is well tolerated. There are many clinical studies that depicts the safety and tolerability of Acetaminophen at a dose of 2600 mg/d for up to 2 years without any significant untoward effects.

Also, the chances of drug interactions are very less with Acetaminophen than any other conventional NSAID.

The maximum amount of Acetaminophen that can be taken daily (in 24 hours) for an adult -
* Short-term use (<10 days) - 4 grams (4000 mg)/day
* Long term use – 3.2 grams (3200 mg)/day

In Elderly age group patients (like you), the recommended maximum dosage of Acetaminophen is 2.6 grams (2600 mg)/day.
Side effects from taking Acetaminophen are rare if taken within the above recommended dosages.

No specific laboratory tests are required while taking acetaminophen unless monitoring of the liver enzymes is required for other medications or medical conditions.

Hope I have addressed your query.