Taking Clonazepam for panic disorder. History of ankle injury. How can a panic attack be prevented until medication is available?

Refill clonezepam early? I have been taking Clonezepam .5mg for an extreme panic disorder. I have been taking this for a while but this month I have ran out early. It's been about 17 days with 13 Left for a refill. The pharmacy will not refill a controlled substance early. The panic attacks are very severe. My biggest symptom when I have an attack is not being able to breath. I would compare it to someone having a pillow over my head or being held under water with being able to come to the surface. I often have them when I go to and from work. I have them severe when i'm around a lot of people. I know i need to talk to my doctor about maybe getting a higher dosage. I don't abuse them, however I took 1mg for about a week straight because the panic attacks were coming on so strong. Iv'e had them for over 10 years now. They have ruined my life many years of my life. For a long period of time I was not taking anything and suffered 24 hours a day. I recall one time I was having a very bad one while playing basketball. It was hard for me to concentrate. I popped my ankle out of place wich hurt pretty bad, However during that week as I recovered from my injury I was able to breath normally for the first time in years. I guess the mind focuses on the pain and away from the stress and anxiety that leads to panic. My question is How can I prevent another one until My medication becomes available for refill? I have to get to work perform on a high level. Would taking a substitute from a family member like a valuim for example be XXXXXXX or necessary?
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

The mainstay of treatment of repeated panic attacks (RPA) is not clonazepam or valium. These are the kind of drugs like for example using paracetamol without antibiotics for fever arising out of infection.

The mainstay of RPA is usually SSRI group of drugs like fluoxetine paroxetine etc; or SNRI drugs like venlafexine; or TCA group of drugs like imipramine.

For immediate symptomatic control, alternative to Clonazepam will be nonspecific beta blockers group of drugs like propranolol. Since betablocker will also require a prescription, if possible consult a physician nearby and get it prescribed.
As betablocker needs to be avoided in people with asthma, if you suspect it to be of asthma like condition, discuss with your physician.

Hope this will be of help. Let me know if you need clarifications.