Taking Clathrinomycin. Have abdominal pain, dry mouth, thirst, nausea, diarrhea, dark stools. Is the antibiotic causing this?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Im on clarithromycin for 3 days, I have constant upper central abdominal pain, dry mouth, thirst,nausea and diarrhea/and dark XXXXXXX stools. I am also allergic to penicillins and keflex.
1. Is this the antibiotic causing this?
2. What can I take to relive the pain, meryndol isnt working?
3. How long after I stop taking this will the symptoms resolve? (last time I took the antibiotic was 7 hours ago and pain is constant)
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Yes, It seems you have developed drug induces gastritis and a supper infection common after antibiotics

You need to take an antacid and may be a proton pump inhibitor for the pain as this is pain of gastritis and will not go off by analgesics

For Diarrhea add a probiotic twice a day for 5 to 7 days

Usually it will take 48-72 hours for all the symptoms to resolve after you stop antibiotics, but the relief can be obtained by the measures I have mentioned

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon