Taking Cipralex and Salipax for panic attacks. Is it okay to take two medications together?

Hello .I'm a 19 years old guy . I have a panic attack. I met a doctor 4months ago and he told me to take cipralex 20 mg and salipax ( fluoxetine 20mg) 1 tablet each daily. when i started taking these two together i began feeling like back to normal and I'm very well !!!

Today i have met another doctor in different country , he told me that taking two medication is not a good idea and XXXXXXX as well because of the serotinen seyndrome ! he also told me to drop the salipax and keep taking cipralex 20mg and ativan

what do you think ? what should i do ?? who's right ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     19 year old male
•     Known case of panic disorder. Maintaining well on cipralex 20mg and fluoxetine 20mg
•     Concern related to different opinion by doctors.

If we see your case, your treatment is in right direction. As you have not developed serotonin syndrome, then there is no need to worry much in current situation. Type of medicine many time depend on doctor preference and experience along with guidelines.

Cipralex and fluoxetine both belong to SSRI group (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). In panic disorder treatment I also prefer single SSRI medicine. I add other medicine if single medicine is in effective.

If you wish you can follow second doctor and taper & stop fluoxetine. There is no harm in that but he should supervise your treatment in future. If you are well then try to taper and stop ativan too, as ativan has addiction potential on long term daily use. But you can use ativan whenever there is much anxiety (on requirement basis).

I hope this answer your query.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Taking Cipralex and Salipax for panic attacks. Is it okay to take two medications together? 1 hour later
so doctor can i keep taking the two medication together for 2 extra months till i get back home then i droped the salipax

I mean is it ok if i keep taking both of them for 2 more months then i droped one of them ?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

There is no problem in that.