Taking Cialis for BPH. Prescribed to take Cialis or Viagra. What could be the reason?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I am taking 5 mg per day of Cialis for BPH but would like to take Viagra for times when I am going to have sex. My urologist says he will only prescribe wither Cialis or Viagra, but not both. I made clear that I wouldn't be taking Viagra everyday, and I wouldn't take Cialis on the day when I know I'm having sex, but he will not relent. What could be the reason for his worry? I have an appointment to see him later this week.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Both the drugs do have same mode of action.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have
Benign Enlargement of Prostate (BPH)with Erectile dysfunction.Cialis is drug that prescribed to be taken on daily basis for BPH and Erectile Dysfunction.

Viagra (Sildenafil) and Cialis (Tadanafil) are drugs that belong to a same group of drug called
5 Phosphodiesterase Inhibitors.

Since both these drugs have serious side effects on Cardio- Vascular system and other organs it is always recommended to take only one drug once a day only.

Even tough you promised to your urologist that you will not take Cialis on the day you plan to have sex and will take only Viagra on that particular day the effect of the drug(Cialis) taken on previous day would be still there and that is the reason your Urologist has refused to prescribe both the drugs.

Since mechanism of action of both the drugs is same it is not advisable to take both the drugs .
Continue taking Cialis only.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.