Taking Cerozette but missed periods. Pregnancy tests negative. No pregnancy symptoms. Can you help me?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my girlfriend has been taking cerozette contraceptive pill and i have been using condoms. She has missed her periods for 5 weeks. 3 pregnancy test have came back negative. No pregnancy symptons. Can you help me?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 48 minutes later

Irregular bleeding or no bleeding at all is a known effect of cerazette, a progesterone only pill. I hope she has been told about this by her doctor while prescribing her cerazette. so it's nothing worrisome since her pregnancy tests are negative too.

She may continue using it or consult her doctor for a change to combined estrogen progesterone pill. she may have irregular menses for few months after stopping, either heavy or scanty, but please don't panic. It will resolve on its own.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have any doubts.

Please accept my answer if you do not have more concerns.

Follow-up: Taking Cerozette but missed periods. Pregnancy tests negative. No pregnancy symptoms. Can you help me? 44 minutes later
would blood tests reveal any postive pregnancy tests?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Blood beta hcg (Human chorionic gonadotropin) or an ultrasound of the pelvis region are two tests to confirm pregnancy.

Beta hcg will be raised than normal and ultrasound will show the fetal ring in uterus if pregnancy occurs.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the reply if you have no further queries.