Taking Cardizem to keep heart in rythmn. Can I continue medication after surgery?

70 male with Afib, goes for a left TKA revision on Tuesday, 7/16/2013. Yesterday asked re: when to temporarily d/c Xarelto.and when to resume. Thanxs for the answer,
Another Question. To try to keep my heart in rythmn, I take Cardizem CD 120mg 1x daily. Should I also temporarily d/c the Cardizem CD before the surgery and if the answer is "yes", when should I resume taking it.?
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 26 minutes later

Thanks for your health concerns. Those are common questions in preoperative Medicine in Cardiology:

1) For rivaroxaban (Xarelto), most orthopedic surgeons are comfortable with you holding the medication at least 2 days before surgery. Xarelto is actually FDA approved for prevention of DVT after orthopedic procedures, thus it will actually make it easy for your surgeons, as they can restart the medication soon after surgery once they are confident that the bleeding risk is low

2) You should continue to take the diltiazem even the day of surgery: good heart rate and blood pressure control actually improves surgical outcomes, from a cardiovascular events perspective.

Hope that is useful, wish you the best, God speed,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN