Taking Cafergot for migraine. Have controlled BP and congestive heart failure. Suggest the medication which is as effective as cafergot

Question
i have been taking Cafergot for migraine for 25 years. it is no longer available. i am interested in the best trepan type oral medicine for me. i have congestive heart failure and controlled high blood pressure. i was just prescribed Replax, but it is too expensive and not as effective as Cafergot. What medication do you recommend.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Sumitriptan may be used wit caution. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking question on health care magic. Sumitriptan is the used in migraine cases successfully But it has some side effects. It rarely causes hypertension and myocardial ischemia Already you are suffering from congestive heart failure and hypertension , even though under control. you may use Ibuprofen 2-3 times daily or Paracetamol for immediate relief. Beta blockers like propronolol, timolol and meteprolol may be used. Amitryptilene an anti depressant is successfully used in the treatment of migraine' Anticonvulsants like valproate and topiramate are also used in the treatment o f migraine. These drugs also have side effects but not pertaining to cardiovascular system. Any way you have to take these drugs under strict medical supervision at proper dosage , keeping in view, the adverse effects. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics

Follow-up: Taking Cafergot for migraine. Have controlled BP and congestive heart failure. Suggest the medication which is as effective as cafergot 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply. i am already taking ibuprofen and amitriptilene. I want to take the triptan for use when i feel a migraine coming on, as i I did with the Cafergot. Before I used Cafergot, debilitating migraines were a part of my life and now they are rare. However, i have to take something when that spot on my scull starts signaling a migraine. Is Imitrex the same as sumitriptan succinate? As i said before, cost is a factor. But, of course, relief is the most important thing. Which sumitriptan is best for me?

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, Imitrex is same as sumitriptan succinate, Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking a follow up question on health care magic. Imitrex is same as sumitriptan succinate. It is a selective serotonin agonist. Other members of this class includes naratryptan,zolmitryptan,rizatrptan,frovatrptan,elitryptan and almotryptan. Almost all have the same action and same effect. Your doctor has prescribed elitrptan (replax). Any preparation will do Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics