Taking Betnesol for Alopecia Universalis. Swollen face, acne, high cholesterol levels. How to treat the side effects of steroids?

I have Alopecia Universalis since Feb 2009. I started taking a 10mg dose of Betnesol Forte every weekend from Aug 2010 to oct 2010 (12 weeks approx.). Results were good, but side effects were more severe. I got my face swollen, my cholesterol levels were extremely high and I started getting acne(I never had acne problem earlier). I was very stupid to stop it suddenly cold XXXXXXX without doctor's consultation. Since then I have not taken Betnesol or any prednisone. But this Betnesol I think is not coming out of my system. I eat much less now but even then I am not getting slimmer or my face is not coming to its normal shape. I get acne a lot and my body weight is not reducing. Is there a way to take out prednisone out of my system faster or undo the side effects of Betnesol. Any other medicine to flush out prednisone or repair side effects of betnesol forte.
Posted Fri, 18 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Although steroids do cause these problems as suggested by you but it is unlikely the cause in you as it has been a longtime since you stopped it and you took it only at weekends for 12 weeks. Further, steroids are metabolized and flushed out of the body in a few days to weeks, so it is not possible to affect weight nor can cause side effects now.

Usually steroid induced fat deposition can be corrected by proper diet and exercising. Acne may be corrected with acne medications.

In addition you must get yourself investigated for hypothyroidism as a cause for your face swelling and weight.

There is no need for flushing out prednisone as it is already flushed out.

I hope to have answered your query. Should you have any further queries, you can revert to me.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Taking Betnesol for Alopecia Universalis. Swollen face, acne, high cholesterol levels. How to treat the side effects of steroids? 13 hours later

I don't think my thyroid levels are high. I conducted a full body check up last month and these were the results:

Bilurubin(Total) 0.7 mg/dl Reference Range--> Upto 1.0
Bilurubin(Direct) 0.2 mg/dl Reference Range--> Upto 0.2
Bilurubin(Indirect) 0.5 mg/dl

Alkaline Phosphate 142 IU/L upto 306

Lipid profile:

Triglycerides 257 mg/dl Upto 150
Cholesterol Total 206 mg/dl Upto 200
LDL Cholesterol 112mg/dl Upto 100
VLDL Cholesterol 51mg/dl <30

Thyroid Profile:

T3 159 ng/dl range: 82-179

T4 11.2 mcg/dl range: 4.5-12.5

TSH 1.35 IU/ML 0.4-5

I intake less than 2000-2400 cals per day not more than that. So my weight should reduce somewhat right? but it is as it is. And I donot know what to do for my swollen face and persistent acne
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Your thyroid report is normal
Triglycerides level are high so you must decrease your carbohydrate intake
Quit alcohol or reduce the quantity
Decrease your calorie intake
Do regular exercises
Get an X-ray PNS done to see if any sinus problem is there or not as bad sinuses can cause facial swelling
Consult a dermatologist for treatment of your acne