Taking Bactrim DS for for staph infection. Reddish crusted eye, fever, night sweats. Symptoms due to allergy or infection?

I started taking bactrim DS twice a day about 5 days ago for a possible staph infection. Yesterday I woke up and my right eye was blood shot and had a lot of crust on it. I contacted my dr and they advised me to use eye drops (which did not help anything). I also developed a low fever of 99.3. This morning I woke up from night sweats (which is uncommon for me). I went to a FNP who told me it was just allergies. But to me it sounds more like a viral infection or a reaction to the bactim. The fluid my eye is creating is clear or white, and my fever is still present at 99.2. I have also noticed that even though I have increased my fluid intake my output is still lower than normal. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Your symptoms are likely to be due to a viral infection.
The symptoms in your eye are likely to be due to viral conjunctivitis.
Topical steroid and antibiotic drops will help in resolution of symptoms in 3-4 days.
The systemic infection will subside with maintaining a healthy diet with plenty of fluids and vitamin C supplements.
In case the symptoms are persistent or aggravate then few blood tests will be needed to find out the exact cause.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.