Taking Avapro and diuretic for high BP. Noticed swelling on leg. Side effect?

I am taking Avapro which, i believe, has an added diuretic. I also take Metropolol. Both these medications are for High Blood Pressure. I am also taking Crestor for cholestrol and a Vitamin D supplement. Over several months I have noticed a swelling in my left leg and ankle. When I asked my doctor about this he said that I am taking a tablet which, if I understood him correctly, contains something called Forge. Could this be causing the swelling? He did say that one of my medications can cause swelling.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
thanks for the query

I am not sure of what Forge is but what ever the case, your situation is more likely related to a local cause ( at the level of the leg) rather than systemic or due to drugs.

Anti-hypertensive drugs can cause swelling of legs; but that is the case of a given class called calcium channel blockers and swelling in the case of a drug induced cause, will affect both legs.

However, in the case of a drug induced gout, selling could be on a single lower leg and the drug known to cause high uric acid level is of the thiazide group of antihypertensives which is not one of your drugs.

Vitamin D and metoprolol are not known to cause swelling.
Possible local causes of your swelling could be
-a gouty attack; which will present with pain
-an arthritis; which will also present with pain but which will be less severe
-a clot in vessels which could present with a change in skin coloration
I recommend that a few tests be done such as Fasting blood sugar, leg doppler ultrasound, ESR and an X-ray in a goal of getting an appropriate diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. If you do have more query, please do not hesitate, i will be glad to help.
Best regards