Taking Avapro. Have difficulty in swallowing. Prescribed amlodipine. Taking vitamin C. Side effects of medication?

I have been taking Avapro for about 4-5 years. I have had difficulty in swallowing. I did not realize that this was a side affect of avapro. The doctor put me on amlodipine and I have the same. Problem. I have heard that taking Vitamin C and aspirin can cause this. Not sure. I would like to know what pill you would recommend for blood pressure.
I am maile 70 years old and outside of blood pressure I am in good health.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be related

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your concerns. There are a variety of high blood pressure medications to choose from: chlorthalidone, carvedilol, metoprolol, labetalol, lisinopril, etc that could be used in your case. Nevertheless, I am concerned that your swallowing problem may not be a side effect, an and alternative explanation should be sought, perhaps by a gastroenterologist specialist. From the list above, chlorthalidone is usually safe, cheap, well studied and effective.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Taking Avapro. Have difficulty in swallowing. Prescribed amlodipine. Taking vitamin C. Side effects of medication? 23 minutes later
Hi, Thank you for your reply and I will discuss it with my physician. I have read that difficult swallowing is quite common with the 2 medications. Rare but does happen in my age group. Mind you more with ladies.
If you anything to add I will appreciate.
Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Indeed rare

Detailed Answer:

Indeed it would be a very unusual side effect for both medications, but again, could happen as a coincidence. Chlorthalidone is a thiazide like medication and does not have that side effect listed as common.

Best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar