Taking Augmentin. Severe sinus/ear infection. Feeling vomiting. What should I do?

my 14 yr. old is taking AUGMENTIN 875-125 for a severe sinus/ear infection twice a day.
She starts throwing up about 2 hours after taking it, even with a little bit of food, and this lasts about 4 hours. Her doctor is closed until Tuesday. What should I do to get her through until we go back on Tuesday?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 56 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question.

As you know some medications including antibiotics can upset the stomach and cause nausea and vomiting.

For your daughter I would suggest that you make sure she takes the medication with some food and at least 6 ounces of water. In addition she should remain upright and refrained from vigorous activity for at least one hour after taking the antibiotic.

Lastly you could try giving her a teaspoon of Mylanta or Maalox at the time she takes the medication to help settle her stomach.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Taking Augmentin. Severe sinus/ear infection. Feeling vomiting. What should I do? 30 minutes later
Can I cut this augmentin and just give her half of it tonight and half the dose tomorrow. She will see her regular Dr. on Tuesday. She can't seem to keep any food down so eating
before or right after taking it doesn't seem to be working.Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 minutes later
Hello again.

Yes you could cut the tablet and try that as an alternative.

Thanks again. Let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Galamaga