Taking Atorvastatin, felt confused and disoriented. Started statin after diagnosed with high cholesterol. Side effect?

I have been taking 20 mg Atorvastatin for about a year. This morning after breakfast I started feeling confused and disoriented. I called a few people for reassurance and resumed my daily routine and the confusion abated. It occurred to me that I had read that statin drugs can cause early dementia and that there is some thinking that the statin drugs starve the brain of necessary cholesterol. My total cholesterol was 185 mg, HDL 43.4 mg, and LDL 127 mg in October, 2012. I have been taking the stain drugs since then. My total cholesterol was 135 in May. I don't have the other numbers. Do you think I should curtail the statin drugs? My twin brother has had memory problems lately and takes statin drugs, but he also drinks alcohol and I do not.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief are right.your problems seem to be due to the use of statin.
Detailed answer....
Although ATORVASTATIN is generally a well tolerated drug but it can cause various side effects,but all these side effects do not occur to every person using it.
Although the most common problem with taking this drug is muscle pain,muscle weakness etc but neurological side effects like headache,dizziness,memory loss,forgetfulness,confusion.memory impairment etc have been found in few individuals.
These effects can start from one day to years after starting treatment and generally resolves in 3-4 weeks after stopping it.
Healthy older adults show greater pharmacodynamic response to ATORVASTATIN even at lower dose.
It is advised not to consume alcohol with This drug.
Since you don't seem to have diabetes or any cardiac related issues,you may take a lower dose of 10 mg daily,however you must consult your doctor for any modification of dose.
Best of luck