Taking Ambien for a very long time. Want to get off. How to do?

Dec 2014

I would like vey much to get off of Ambien. I have been taking it for approx 10 years. How to do this?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Ambien is zolpidem. It is a good hypnotic drug used in sleep problems. It has very less addiction potential and abuse potential so its very easy to get rid of this drug.

Best thing to get rid of this drug is to gradually taper the doses of drug. You have not mentioned the exact doses of drug you are taking daily still I would advise you to reduce about 25% of doses every 7-10 days and then stop completely at the end of 4 weeks. There may be a little withdrawal insomnia but you can control this very easily by simply relaxation exercises in evening.

If you suffer anxiety with withdrawal you can take low dose benzodiazepines like etizolam on SOS basis with consultation of your doctor.

Hope this helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.

Follow-up: Taking Ambien for a very long time. Want to get off. How to do? 29 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I will start lowering dose. Taking 5mg. Again, thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
thanks, it's my pleasure

If you have more queries you can ask again.