Taking Althea pills, had unprotected sex and no periods yet. Will I become pregnant?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi Doctors,

I've been taking Althea pills for one month and 6 days already (started last May 16). My partner and I had unprotected sex and he came inside me. Will I become pregnant? Also, I haven't had my period yet which I expect to have happened on the first week of XXXXXXX Is it possible that I'm pregnant? I'm taking the pill same time of the day and sometimes I'm not able to drink it on the exact time but the time delay is not more than 1 hour. Please help. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later

Althea pill is is 21 days pill with a 7 days tablet free period. One should adopt a barrier method, if performing sex in the first 7 days of the first cycle. How ever this additional contraception is not needed in subsequent cycles, unless you have missed pills.

If you are taking regularly, the chance of getting pregnant is very remote. you can any way get yourself using home pregnancy kit to confirm my claim.

Don't worry. You may even miss periods, while on pill. Just continue with the next pack of pills, regularly.

The less than 1 hour delay should not be an issue.

Hope it is clear as well as relieving for you.

Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Taking Althea pills, had unprotected sex and no periods yet. Will I become pregnant? 5 hours later
Hi Dr. Pati,

Sorry I haven't included this in my question. Before I took my first pill last May 16, we had unprotected sex last May 13. But he withdrew. Then I took the pill May 16, my first day to take a pill. Then we had unprotected sex last XXXXXXX 1. That's when he came inside me. I took a home pregnancy test last XXXXXXX 14 since I've read that sometimes pre-cum can cause pregnancy. The test result was negative. Thinking that I should have my period already and afraid, I took another home pregnancy test last XXXXXXX 21 which was negative as well. I'm taking pills regularly and the Althea I'm buying doesn't have free pills, only 21. So after I finish them all, I buy a new pack so that I'm taking it regularly. The last time we had unprotected sex was yesterday, XXXXXXX 22 and he came inside me twice. I continued taking my pill on the time I usually do. Am I still safe, meaning not to get pregnant as long as I take the pill and even if he came inside me every time we had unprotected sex? We have long distance relationship so we don't regularly see each other. And I'm not planning to stop taking pills as well. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 4 hours later
When was your LMP, means:First day of your last period. If it is 16th may nothing to worry about.
No need to take pills from day 22 to day 28 for 7 days. That's why it is supplied as a 21 tablets pack.
The frequency of sex per day or number of ejaculation per act are not risks if you are on regular pills.
I don't think, there is anything to worry.
Hope it's clear now.
You may close the discussion and rate it, if no more questions.
Thank you.

The first day of my last period was May 2. It lasted until May 6.
Is there still nothing to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 30 minutes later
Welcome back
Though there is a slight risk of getting pregnant as you have performed unprotected sex at midcycle, even then, if you have done the pregnancy test correctly, wait for the next period to come. If you missed the second also, visit your obstetrician.
All the best