Taking Allegra, fluticasone nasal spray. Can I take vicodin?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I am taking Allegra regularly as well as using fluticasone nasal spray. Is it safe to take vicodin for really bad pain?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 2 hours later
hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon with good amount of experience in tratment of allergy.

At the offset let me assure you that having allergy means that your immune system will not tolerate any dust in the environment so your taking of anti allergy medication which you mentioned is perfectly fine.

Now Allegra is fexofenadine, a newer generation of anti allergy medication and it is a very safe medication, in fact now it is recommended even for children above two years so you can be rest assured that it is safe. Although some amount of side effects can happen with any medication.

Now coming to fluctocasone spray, even that although a steroid spray is safe because it effects only locally and does not have any systemic side effects and can be used for long periods without any problems.

Both these medications have been used by me for my patients for years together without much problems and with good symptom control. Although the continuous use will be based upon your symptoms and also tolerance levels of the medication by you as decided by your treating doctor.

Now coming to Vicodin which is paracetamol, this is acetaminophen which of course is one of the safest pain killer medications in the world and is even recommended for pregnant and lactating women. So you can take this for pain but do so under the guidance of your doctor and also never take them in empty stomach. Also remember never to overdose yourself and also do not self medicate.

Finally, any medication, however safe it is should always be taken in the guidance of your doctor so that you can take them properly and you will have the maximum benefit of the medication.

Hope your doubts are clear and I shall be happy to answer any more

Dr Sriram Nathan