Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking Afdura and Zenflox. What are the other medications to improve urination?

Urologist
Question
hi my father at present 88 having prostTOMGALY GRADE 11 WITH PVRU IS SIGNIFICAT 150 CC PRESENTLY TAKEKING AFDURA AT BED TIME & FLOATE BD FLAVATE ONE WEAK BACK REPLACED WITH ZENFLOX NO CHANGE IN TIME OF URINATION HARDLY URINATES 50-100 ML AT ONE TIME BETWEEN ONE TO TWO HOURS WHAT OTHERE MEDICATION IS THERE TO IMPROVE HIS URINATION YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Uroflow test necessary---------------------------- Detailed Answer: Welcome to the forum. I had a god look at all the images you have attached. At his age, frequency and other symptoms are due to enlarged prostate. The scan shows the prostate indenting into the bladder and high residual urine volume. He is already on the correct medicine for the same - AFDURA. Flavate give relief to burning during passing urine, if he has one. I am not able to find what is FLOATE. Zenflox is needed only if there is infection in urine. My next line of approach would be to check his urine speed by doing a test called UROFLOWMETRY. This test is available in most big hospitals and most urologists have this test in this in their office as well. He just needs to urinate into a commode which senses the speed of urine and gives a print out. If the flow is low, he will be benefited by TURP- endoscopic scrapping of the prostate gland-if he is fit. I do not think any other medicine will benefit him at present. Kindly get back with the report of the uroflow test. Hope this helps Warm regards

Follow-up: Taking Afdura and Zenflox. What are the other medications to improve urination? 1 hour later
is there no other medicine to reduce the frequency of urination.sorry itis flavate not floate not in a position to take for uroflow metery test due to old age but has in past latest only USG

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Anti-cholinergics may be added------ Detailed Answer: welcome back. Addition of anti-cholinergics ( group of medicines that will help reduce the frequency and urgency) may help. Turp may be benefit him, but needs re-assessment after uroflow test. Kindly discuss with you doctor about the same. Best regards

Follow-up: Taking Afdura and Zenflox. What are the other medications to improve urination? 22 hours later
HELLO SIR ARE Anti-cholinergics ADVISABLE IN CARDIAC PROBLEMS SHALL WE DOUBLE THE DOSAGE OF AFDURA ONE BED TIME TO BD WHAT ABOUT PIPE CATHER

Brief Answer: Bladder specific anticholinergics available------- Detailed Answer: Welcome back. There are some bladder specific anti-cholinergics. They can be used under supervision and after clearance by your cardiologist. Afdura contains and is available as 10 mg of alfuzosin only. It is NOT advisable to double the dose as it will cross the safety margin. Catheter is necessary only if his urine is totally blocked and he is unable to pass urine at all. Hope i have helped you dad, Warm regards Dr Srinivasan G