Taking ATK-4 for abdominal pain. Recent test showed elevated SGPT and SGOT level. Due to medicine?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I (XXXXXX), taking ATK-4 from last 22 Days for abdominal TB. now my SGPT IS 87 (NORMAL RANGE 30-65) AND SGOT is 62 (normal range is 15-37). what we should do.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 19 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
These are mildly elevated liver enzymes. It is always possible that there is some cause not related to your medication such as alcohol,hepatitis or gallbladderstones,but first thing to think is that ATK-4 causes it.
You should continue taking ATK-4 and do liver enzymes check ups once a month. This is known side effect of antituberculotic drugs and SGOT/SGPT are usually only temporaly elevated. If your bilirubin level is normal and you dont have jaudnice or sharp pain under the right ribs,you shoudnt worry. Just treat your TB till full recovery.
If you want to be sure that there is no other liver or gallbladderpathology you can do sonography to rule this out.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"