Taking AKT 4 treatment. Having severe itching. Have high cholesterol levels. Taking rosuvastatin. Side effects of AKT 4 treatment?

Question
Hi, I have just started taking AKT 4 treatment and since day one I am having severe itching.its almost a week now and the itching persisit. I am 28 years old and very thin ( weight 49kg, height 5.7) but my cholestrol levels are very high ( total cholestrol 300) I am taking rosuvastatin 10 mg. could you please tell me what are the side effects of akt 4 and also does taking statin will create some more problems.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Liver toxicity or allergy; safe to take statins

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

The side effects of anti-tubercular medication (AKT-4 kit) are the following:
-Abdominal pain
-Liver toxicity (symptoms are itching, jaundice, fever, etc.)
-Abdominal irritation (resulting in gas, loss of appetite, increased acid production, burping, vomiting, nausea, etc.)

As you have been experiencing severe generalized itching ever since you have started on the KIT, this could be either liver complications or an allergic reaction, which is why I would advice you to visit your doctor who will substitute the current medications with the second line of medication for tuberculosis treatment.

Also, it is safe to take rosuvastatin with the AKT-4 KIT, as there are no reported drug interactions. Please continue with your cholesterol-lowering medication.

I hope you found my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Wishing you a speedy and side-effect-free recovery.

God bless.

Follow-up: Taking AKT 4 treatment. Having severe itching. Have high cholesterol levels. Taking rosuvastatin. Side effects of AKT 4 treatment? 1 hour later
I asked my doctor regarding this problem but she told me that it should subside in 2 weeks and its normal and she also gave me anti allergic. Should I consult another doc who can advice me different medicine or should I wait for another week before I get LFT done and see if there is any complication with liver

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If no response from anti-allergy meds,get LFT done

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again,

Thank you for your response.

If a doctor has looked at your skin and suggested an allergic reaction, then this might very well be an allergic reaction. I would like to ask if you have experienced any response/improvement after the use of anti-histamine (anti-allergy) medication?

If not, then it would be a good idea to get your LFT checked without further ado. This would also help in ruling out any liver abnormalities, and help your doctor concentrate more on treating the allergic reaction.

I hope this information helps you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter.

God bless.