Taking A M Dopa and Amtas for high BP. Safe during pregnancy?

My wife is taking A M DOPA & AMTAS - 5 from last eight months of pregnancy.
I want to know it is safe in pegnancy? If NOT. so which medicines are safe in pegnacy for high blood pressure. And also available in india.
Pls. gime the details.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 29 minutes later

I hope that your wife is taking these drugs under Medical Supervision.A M Dopa is methyldopa which is the safest drug during pregnancy and is the most common drug prescribed for hypertension.

Regarding the Amtas 5 which is an Amlodipine is a Category C drug which means that it may not be safe to use during pregnancy but if the treating Doctor feels that the benefits outweigh the risks involved then it can be given.

As uncontrolled high blood pressure itself can cause problems in the growing foetus and the mother is also at risk of stroke and heart problems so the medications are given accordingly.

Since everything is fine till now continue taking the medications as prescribed by your treating Doctor and do not stop them abruptly or adjust the doses by yourself.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.