Taking 3000 iu of vitamin D3. Tested for progesterone, vitamin D and DHEA. What are the findings?

Infertility Specialist
My AMH test came back low a couple of months ago. Since then I've been taking 3000 iu of vitamin D3 to see if that helped. Then, this week, I was sent for supplemental tests to further assess the problem--to see if I was really suffering from DOR and how much it was affecting my egg quality.

My DHEA came back at 180 ug/DL (reference range 98-340 ug/DL)

Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy at 28ng/ML (reference range 30-100 ng/ML)

CD 21 Progesterone at 15.7 ng/ML.

What does that tell me? Is my DHEA level right for a 34 year old? Does it say anything about my egg quality? Or is that the progesterone?

Is the progesterone normal for a natural cycle?

And, finally, how much Vitamin D should I be taking to get my levels up to normal? I'm already taking quite a lot and have been for a while but the levels haven't gone up to normal. Could the Vitamin D deficiency explain why I had those results on the AMH test? If I could get my Vitamin D levels up to normal, would my body start producing more follicles? How long would it take for the Vitamin D to make a difference?
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply : 1) Your DHEA levels are normal. Nothing to do with decreased ovarian reserve. 2) Vitamin D levels are low due to agd related factors and decreased dietary suppliment. It has nothing to do with ovarian reserve or AMH. 3) Taking vitamin D or any other forms of suppliments is not going to increase your ovarian reserve or follicular count. 4) AMH levels are indicative of decreased ovarian reserve and there is no way to increase it ( including vitamin D you are taking ). 5) Progesterone values are less than normal which is due to decreased ovarian reserve and follicles. Hence i would like to tell you that vitamin D wont help in improving AMH. It will help to keep your bones strong. I hope I answered your query. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: Taking 3000 iu of vitamin D3. Tested for progesterone, vitamin D and DHEA. What are the findings? 15 minutes later
I understand now about the Vitamin D/DHEA not helping with AMH. What does the progesterone level tell me, though? How does a low progesterone indicate low ovarian reserves? Does that level indicate a bad ovulation or a poor quality egg? How low is that number? Is it high enough for me to get pregnant? Would supplemental progesterone help me get pregnant, do you think?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
Hi, i am glad you have understood the reply well. You are right about progesterone goo. Progesterone is secreted by corpus luteum which is remaining after ovulation. When ovarian reserve is low, ovulation does not occur properly or bad egg gives small and atrophic corpus luteum which cant secrete enough progesterone. Hence you get low levels. Progesterone suppliments can help you if you take them after confirming ovulation. It helps in correcting lutral phase progesterone deficiency. I hope you are clear now about the problem. Please accept my answer if no more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist