Taking 150mg levothyroxine. Experiencing diarrhea, back pain and abdominal discomfort. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi im 51 yr old woman who had dx underactive thyroid and take 150mg levothyroxine which was checked two weeks ago and is appropriate doseage currently. my issue at present is ive had a very stressful year and during this time developed chronic diahorrea i was given numerous meds to alleviate this without time as progressed im now finding within roughly mins of trying to eat i experience discomfort in my abdomin with what i describe as like a huge ball of discomfort then i become sooo warm i perspire and within the hour i can hear and feel fluids gurgling into my stomach and subsequently diahorrea results.. i also experience pain in both flank areas of my back.. i restrict my diet ie gluten free and when im at work i take on fluids via slimfast shakes..not for dieting but purely to ensure i get some calorific value into my system my gp has made urgent referral for endoscope but im just interested in getting further view of possible health issues.. i do feel ive IBs but my symptoms have become more difficult with prior symptoms re when i try to eat.
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
There can be numerous causes for your diarrhoea and abdominal discomfort. They can range from something like lactose intolerance, anxiety and stress, gluten sensitivity, irritable bowel, crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.
Investigations like colonoscopy, stool culture, etc are needed for proper diagnosis and further treatment.
Follow these lifestyle modifications:
1.) Drink plenty of fluids.
2.) Avoid fatty, high calorie foods and dairy products.
3.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.