Taken whooping cough vaccination during early pregnancy. Will it harm baby?

Question
I just had a Whooping Cough Vaccine during my 3-4 weeks pregnant. Is that will harm my baby? Urgent seeking answer. Thanks !!
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 5 hours later

This vaccine is recommended in second and third trimester.

Regarding first trimester there are not much trials and evidences that it harms the fetus.

You can get your triple markers done.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Taken whooping cough vaccination during early pregnancy. Will it harm baby? 18 minutes later
is anything I can do/eat to make the baby as heathy as possible for go through the first trimester since I had a miscarriage just month ago.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later

Welcome back.

Yes, you can take active form of folic acid which is methylfolate and DHA as well as methylcobalamin under your doctor's prescription and guidance.

Take progesterone preparation as well as HCG in the form of inj under your doctor's prescription.

In my personal opinion vaccine will not do much harm but one never knows about the side effects of so many things in first trimester so you should get combined test done which means Nuchal translucency , PAPP-A and free beta HCG.

In second trimester AFP, UE3 and HCG and inhibin A which is called quadruple marker should be done.

If they are negative there is no need to worry.

Good diet and rest is very important.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Taken whooping cough vaccination during early pregnancy. Will it harm baby? 21 hours later

"If" my body is already producing enough progesterone, is it safe(normal) or beneficial to take extra progesterone (Progesterone pills 90 mg Crinone 8% , twice a week, during my week 6-12) ?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later
Hello

Yes, it is safe to take progesterone orally, injection or in the form of vaginal cream.

It prevents miscarriage.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Taken whooping cough vaccination during early pregnancy. Will it harm baby? 4 days later
Hi, I had a blood test during between my week 4-5, the HCG level at that time is 266. Is it lower than standard? And now I just got this drug : Crinone 8% Progesterone vaginal gel, each providing 1.125 g gel. I am planing to use it from now (week 6) till my week 12. How many gel I should use per week?

Thanks !

Thanks for writing back.
The level of hCG are normal. They are in mIU per ml. They will go on increasing up to thousands and lakhs as the pregnancy advances.

Regarding progesterone gel , it depends upon obstetrician's choice. Some give it weekly and some give it three times or two times weekly. Speak with your obstetrician about this. Other forms of progesterone like tablets and injectable forms are also used by some physicians.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Best wishes

Follow-up: Taken whooping cough vaccination during early pregnancy. Will it harm baby? 13 minutes later
Thanks for your reply, so base on my HCG level 226mlU/ml during week 4-5. In your opinion, is it harmful if take the gel once a week to prevent miscarriage again?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

I do not use gel as my patients sometimes misinterpret the use of gel with bleeding

I give dydrogesterone in tablet form or pure progesterone in injectable form weekly along with hCG injections as well as methylfolate along with isoxsuprine hydrochloride tablets with strict bed rest.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Taken whooping cough vaccination during early pregnancy. Will it harm baby? 25 minutes later
How often should I request my doctor to do the blood test for HCG level? Weekly? Is there other way I can monitor my own condition? If the HCG level drop in sudden within 12 weeks, it means I will Miscarriage again?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 27 minutes later
Hello and thanks again,

1. There is no need to do HCG levels again and again.

2. There will be sign of miscarriage like bleeding and pain abdomen. Watch for these symptoms.
Just relax and go according to nature, because repeatedly doing HCG is not going to prevent it.

3. Bed rest, good diet, no stress, taking drugs mentioned above and repeated ultrasounds are better way of managing it.

Hope this helps. Please close this discussion if you have no further queries.

Best wishes once again