Taken regestrone, having brown discharge and not had periods after stopping medicine. Pregnant?

My wife has taken regestrone for 5 days (3 times daily) from Aug 31 to 04 Sep. She was having some brown discharge during those days and she has not her periods even after stopping the medicine on 4th Sep. She is still having some brown discharge (not much). Can she be pregnant? What shall we do now?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:

Before answering your query, I would like few more details from your end.

When was your wife's last menstruation or periods or mensus? Please tell me the date of her last periods.

What is her age? Why was she prescribed regestrone? Did you indulge in unprotected sexual intercourse with your wife?

Regestrone is mostly given when a woman is not pregnant, to get withdrawal bleeding. Hence, I doubt your wife is pregnant.

The best possible way out of this is to get an ultrasound scan of the uterus done to look for pregnancy or other problems in the ovaries.

Hope this helps you to take an informed decision.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Taken regestrone, having brown discharge and not had periods after stopping medicine. Pregnant? 2 days later
My wife's LMP is 04.08.2013. Her age is 34. We got married on 2003 and she had an ectopic on July 2004 and her right tube was operated due to tubal pregnancy. Since, then we were trying but nothing was happening. During Nov'11 we had undergone ICSI and the embryos were transferred during Jan'12. She got pregnant with twin babies and to our utter dismay both the babies got growth problems and we had to undergo premature delivery at 32 weeks. One baby was IUD and other baby died two days after delivery in NICU. Now, we were planning to undergo IVF / ICSI once again in October and for that purpose the doctor has given my wife regestrone. We had undergone unprotected sex during 13 or 14th day after LMP. We had taken the urine test and it has shown positive. We also took the bHcG blood test on the same day i.e., on 10.09.2013, it showed a result of 3192.3 level. The gynec near our house has told us that she is pregnant and since of her ectopic history has advised to take a US scan on 15.09.2013. She has prescribed Endogest 200mg, Folvite, Thyronorm 25, Ecosprin (since to help smooth blood flow to the embryo, which was a reason for growth retardation earlier). Please provide your valuable advice.

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with the ultrasound scan

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing the in-depth details. All is clear to me now except one thing.

Your wife's LMP was on 04 August 2013. The beta HCG test showed 3192.3 levels on 10 September 2013. I am glad about this. Yes, your wife is pregnant.

One thing is not clear to me. Why was regestrone prescribed? This is not routinely prescribed in pregnancy. This is concerning me.

However, I am happy that your wife is pregnant.

Please go ahead with the ultrasound scan on 15 September 2013. She has been prescribed the right medicines - Endogest 200mg, Folvite, Thyronorm 25, Ecosprin. She has to continue this.

Wish you good luck and take care.

Follow-up: Taken regestrone, having brown discharge and not had periods after stopping medicine. Pregnant? 3 days later
Thank you for your encouraging reply Madam. As you asked, since we were planning to have IVF / ICSI this October, the doctor suggested this medicine for regulating her periods. This was prescribed even before we conducted the urine test. We also asked our gynec here and she also told that regestrone will not affect the pregnancy. But during the scan i.e., on 43rd day (15.09.2013) the radiologist told that sac is not visible (Impression given : No defined sonological evidence of intrauterine /extra uterine gestation seen at present). Radiologist advised for repeat Beta HCG. We got the result which shows the value as 0000.3 (43rd day). We are doing the repeated Beta HCG today. Please pray for us. Thanks.

With Regards,
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
viable pregnancy unlikely

Detailed Answer:

Surely, my prayers are with your wife.

Please go ahead with the repeat beta HCG test. However, I see that there is no evidence of pregnancy in the ultrasound scan, which makes it highly unlikely to have a viable pregnancy this time.

Please continue your efforts; you would succeed soon.

Good luck to you both.