Taken prolsec for a long period. Bone density test abnormal. Taking Zantec. What can be done?

Dec 2014

I've been taken prolsec for a long period of time. I just had a bone densety test and it came back abnormal.
I just got off of proslec and now taking zantec . we'll it effect my bones I am 69 years old
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a long term complication

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Prilosec or omeprazole is a Proton pump inhibitor drug. It is a safe drug and can be prescribed for long time. It has potential to cause depletion of bone calcium and it can lead to decrease the bone density and consequent increase in risk of hip fracture in elderly.

Zantec is also an antacid drug H2 Blocker. It is also a safe drug and risk of bone calcium depletion with this drug is very minimal as compared to omeprazole. It can cause decreased absorption of Vitamin B12 so if you are taking this drug daily then I would recommend you to take B12 supplements evey 2-3 months for 4 weeks.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Follow-up: Taken prolsec for a long period. Bone density test abnormal. Taking Zantec. What can be done? 7 hours later
Can I restore my bones healthy again. I have thin bones
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you. can

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Tes you can restore the bone calcium again. Take calcium tablets along with Vitamin D tablets with proper nutrition. You will see improviement in bone density in about 4-6 weeks.