Taken overdose of paracetamol. Do you think she will be ok?

hi my Daughter has taken 15 paracetamol(co-dydramol)10/500mg 5 hours ago she went to hospital 3 hours ago , do u think she will be ok? , she is 16 and weighs approximately 53 kg
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     16 year old female
•     Paracetamol poisoning.
•     Concern related to prognosis.

Your daughter has consumed 7500 mg of paracetamol. It is good that she is in hospital within 2 hr of ingestion.

The toxic dose of paracetamol is highly variable. In general, the recommended maximum daily dose for healthy adults is 4 grams. Higher doses lead to increasing risk of toxicity. In adults, single doses above 10 grams or 200 mg/kg of body weight, whichever is lower, have a reasonable likelihood of causing toxicity.

Prognosis of paracetamol poisoning depend on many factors including existing liver function and lab reports. So it is difficult to comment on that currently. Overall prognosis appear to good considering following points: total 7.5 gm use, timely admission and young age.

Apart from the poisoning treatment cause of ingestion need to addressed, as ingestion may recur again.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.