Taken morning-after pill after unprotected sex, missed periods, light spotting after last period. Worried about pregnancy

Question
Hi! I had unprotected sex once last month 8 days before my period. I took a morning-after pill (levonelle onestep) and the period was 3 days later than usual. Now, i have not got my period though it is due for 4-5 days already. I also had light spotting one week after my last period. it lasted four days. I feel perfectly well now but deeply worried if i might be pregnant, since I always have regular periods. (never skip a month) I did three home pregnancy tests today and yesterday closely following the instructions, and all showing negative results. Should I go for a blood test or wait?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 23 minutes later
Hello;

Delayed period for 4-5 days and light spotting after last period could be side effect caused by levonelle one step. Besides the three home pregnancy test are negative, so it is less likely that you are pregnant.

But if you have had unprotected sex in this month and have not taken any pill only then there can be chances of getting pregnant. Then I would suggest you to wait for another 3 days and if you do not get periods then do Beta HCG (beta human chorionic gonadotrophin) which is a blood test to confirm pregnancy.

Hope this answer helps you and reduces your worries. In case you have any further query please write back and I shall help you.
Please accept this answer and close the query if you have no further questions.

Take care and Regards

Follow-up: Taken morning-after pill after unprotected sex, missed periods, light spotting after last period. Worried about pregnancy 15 hours later
Thank you doctor! Just to further clarify something. This is the last intercourse I have had up to the present. Does that mean it is quite unlikely that im pregnant? in this case, how long should i wait til I need a blood test?

In addition to this, is there anything i can eat/drink to "regularise" my period? I think im getting more acnes (but not very serious) and go to toilet a bit more often than usual this week. is that only because of stress?

Thank you again!

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 8 hours later
Hello;
Thanks for writing back.
Since you had intercourse last month and you had normal period it is less likely that you are pregnant.Still if you are worried you can get serum HCG blood test done after 2 days.
The increased acne can be a premenstrual flare up so no reason to get worried if they are not very painful or have pus.
Have a diet XXXXXXX in protein and iron foods and avoid consuming refined, processed and junk foods as far as possible.Foods like white pumpkin, papaya, dates, drumstick, snake gourd, bitter gourd and cucumber are known to be helpful to regularize menstruation.
The increased frequency of urine can be due to infection in urinary tract or even due to anxiety.
Hope that this answer settles all your concerns.In case of any query please write back and I shall help you.
Please accept this answer and close this query if you have no further queries.