Taken medication for twisted ankle, lingering pain and swelling. Cannot walk properly. Not sure about fracture

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
This is regarding a 'sprain' in my ankle. I had twisted my ankle around one and half months back, I had shown it to a general physician. He gave me medication for 2 weeks. The problem is that - even after such a long period, the pain and a little swelling still linger in my ankle. The doc never asked to take an X-ray so I never took one. I am not sure if there is any fracture still, though i can walk properly, but it swells after a little or so exertion.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 35 hours later
Yes, your doubt is valid . In most cases sprain or muscle or ligament injuries should heal within 6 weeks or so and not give rise to significant pain or swelling .
Since an X-ray was not taken at the time of injury there is no conclusive evidence to rule out a hairline fracture ( which though minor does need immobilization for few weeks).
Infact the ankle / foot is a region where many bones XXXXXXX and even X-ray may sometimes miss a minor fracture if not visualized with expertise .Such case may not be severe enough to cause difficulty in walking but may cause significant swelling and tenderness .
So first and foremost you need to consult an orthopedic surgeon , who can confirm the diagnosis after ordering an X-ray .
If the X-ray shows no fracture and only a doctor might advise appropriate splinting and physiotherapy to cause complete healing of the injured ligament or muscle .
Please do not delay further as in musculoskeletal injuries the earlier the treatment started better is the prognosis and recovery.
Please do not neglect your symptom and get the investigations and appropriate management done under specialist care.
With proper treatment you can achieve complete relief within a month.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.