Taken isotrin for pimples. What are the side effects?

A friend had taken isotrin-20 for 3 months twice a day. what are the side effects of isotrin-20 if taken by females around 32 years. Had taken it for pimples. should it be continued. would like to know its side effects. does a person also become short tempered and aggressive?.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

A person can become short tempered & aggressive with isotretinoin. In my opinion it is better to stop the drug

Detailed Answer:

Isotretinoin is usually given for severe pimples and usually for 3-6 months. It is a teratogenic drug; so women in reproductive age should not get pregnant when on treatment and even for 6 months after stopping.

Side effects include dryness of skin and lips, elevation of liver enzyme, elevation of cholesterol and blood lipids, increased sensitivity to sunlight, anemia, hair fall, abdominal pain, tiredness and psychiatric. These occur only in a minority. Depression and low mood is the common psychiatric side effect but nervousness, psychosis, aggression and violent behaviors are also reported.

So if she is having aggressive behavior she may stop isotretinoin after discussing with her dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.