Taken injection for dog bite. Any food restrictions to be followed?

Hi doctor, Two month Back a House dog bites me, and i had taken 5 doses of rabipur injection in Bangalore government Hospital (Next Day i add Egg). Any food control need to follow. My friends are telling to avoid chicken, egg, Mutton lime etc for 3 months. Is it necessary?.Please advice.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Rabipur is a killed (inactivated) virus vaccine. That means the rabies virus in the vaccine is killed by heat or chemicals. Rabipur consists of rabies virus grown on chick fibroblasts and inactivated by beta propiolactone.

Killed vaccines are entirely safe. Since egg and chick broth are culture media for the growth of virus vaccine, people say that these should be avoided. But it is a myth for anti rabies vaccine and so there is no dietary restriction. However, alcohol should be avoided.

Rabies vaccine takes 10 to 14 days to develop protective anti bodies. Since you have taken 5 doses, you are safe. The sixth dose (booster dose) is optional and depends upon the severity of the bite, continuous exposure and the level of antibodies. If your Dr had advised you for it then you should take the booster dose without fail.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.
Follow-up: Taken injection for dog bite. Any food restrictions to be followed? 12 minutes later
Thanks for your information is very useful for me but when i took the last dose next day (10th May 2013) i add kingfisher beer 650ml 2 bottle it will effect me...
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 36 minutes later
Hi Venkateshkelur,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.

The opinion about alcohol intake after rabies vaccine is divided. Some reports against it, while some say that intake of alcohol has no effect on it. It may better be avoided immediately before or after the 'first dose', as a precaution and not later. Since you have taken beer only 12 hours after the last dose and also because beer has minimal alcohol content, I think it is least likely to affect you. So do not worry. But always keep your drinking at a moderate level.

I hope I have answered your query.
Warm Regards.